Thursday, July 1, 2010

Getting Older

It's kind of hard for me to believe that I am helping people eat, walk around, and even go tot he bathroom on a daily basis. It shocked me a little at first, seeing everything and all. But it hasn't depressed me, and I think I know why.

Yeah, it's sad that a lot of us, as we age, need help for things we take for granted - even being able to hold a spoon. I see that for some it is very frustrating and it affects their every day mood. But not everyone reacts to mother nature that way. Part of what makes my job enjoyable are those who are still young at heart - sometimes even in very good shape for their age.

There have been a few times where I felt discouraged. With a few patients I would have difficulties helping them due to mumbling and dialects. As I learn new things I also sometimes take a bit longer. But there was one incident that reminded me to look past being a newbie and having a not-big-but-significant language hindrance.

About a few days into my work, I began washing and changing the socks on my patients legs alone. I had seen the way the stockings were put on a few times but with my first few tries, the left stocking always came on backwards - heel side on top of the foot. I came to a very kind woman to wash up and to my disappointment, got the socks on wrong. Embarrassed, I opted to have another nurse assistant come in.

The lady looked at me and said, "No! Try it again. You'll get it. Stay here. Don't get someone else." I got it right the second time. =)

The reason why work is not depressing is because many of the patients have a lot of love and faith- sometimes more faith in me than I have at first for myself. And I am reminded that life can still be beautiful and, as an intern, I should never give up because I can do it.

P.S.
I can measure blood sugar, now, too!

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you have a positive attitude towards your work and life in general :)

    ReplyDelete