Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Drinking Age

For a bar that supposedly does not serve the best food, it looks pretty posh. And we really only ordered drinks, anyway. Friday evening I met up with some friends to get a drink at Coucou, a bar and restaurant with an interesting atmosphere. The walls are adorned with vintage posters of cute squirrels handling weapons. There is a large stalagmite-looking crystal chandelier and all of the rooms were filled with a neon-pink light.



It was my first time at a bar. The drinking age in Germany is sixteen, so with nineteen I was set! I ordered a glass of "sweet" sparkling white wine - Aischa recommended it to me.

Having finished with work at 9p.m., I thought I should hit the sack pretty soon for my early shift, but I was glad I stayed to toast Rick's 23rd birthday at midnight. Shortly after, Christoph and Aischa showed me to the street cable car. I got home at 1 and hit the sack at 2. I paid later with fourteen hours of sleep the next evening, but it was worth it!

The weather is slowly getting warmer, and Christoph suggested we all visit the pool sometime. Aischa also invited me to an art walk going on until October. Oh, I also met some traveling Australian dancers who will be performing next weekend! There was an accident involving them, another driver, and my aunt's car. I was playing the translator. =)

4 comments:

  1. Pink lighting *and* vintage (?) posters of squirrels-with-weapons *and* stalagmite chandeliers. It's all too good! Hope the wine was OK... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! To be honest, I didn't see what was 'sweet' about it though. I thought all wine had that flavor...maybe in Germany it is usually more bitter. I was going to try the champagne that was passed around for Rick's birthday, but I am such a light drinker I passed. Next time, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all 'white' wine...and 'sweetness'...not particularly flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick to champagne. It's classier ;-)

    ReplyDelete